Monday 12 September 2011

the (semi) green grass of home

When Willie and I were discussing moving to Namibia I had a condition. I told him I would come but I needed some grass. I know that Namibia is a dry country but for it to feel like home for me some green was required. Now those of you who know me well know that my gardening track record is not so great, I would not say I have a green thumb even though I try hard. None the less we waited the winter out (to avoid the frost) and now that it started to get warmer grass became a priority again :) The yard at our house had been covered over with gravel and we had two rather overgrown plants , a Banana tree and what we call the pointy bush( Yes that's its technical name ) placed in either corner

(I have no idea whats up with the date in the corner but its definitely not 2054)

So we started off by removing the offending stones , and then tried to decide how we were going to move them to the back yard. The shortest point between front and back is actually through the house so we moved all the furniture and got started .

as you can see the Pointy bush also got a haircut ...

About 4 hours later(and that's no exaggeration, there were a LOT of stones), we reached a point where we could start preparing the soil for the grass
( see I did more than just take pictures and give my opinion ;) )

Finally we were ready, the grass arrived (Thanks Marnus and Mia !)and we started to lay it down. Unfortunately (due to the fact that we were filthy ) no pictures were taken right away but we did remember half way through:)


We added some curbing to close it in because we are planning on putting pavers down there where u see the big pile of dirt! 8 hours after we started our project we were finished !! we are now the proud owners of some semi green grass :) (and a trimmed pointy plant and banana tree !!)


Not too bad if I do say so myself! now we just have to keep it growing !!! water much?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave a comment :)